Thursday, June 28, 2012

Growing Science: Our Bean Plants So Far


Before we started Learning to Be a Scientist we read about plants and seeds in What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know. Then we planted beans in clear McDonald's sundae cups (so we could see the roots) and they have been growing by the kitchen window. The kids have been drawing pictures of the beans growing and measuring the growth.
 
The been plants have out-grown the cups and window so today we re-planted them. I've never had a bean sprout make it this far before (I have a black thumb) so I really hope I did it right and they live on. The kids are hoping that the beans will grow as high as the wall. George needed to be reminded that the beans will grow into bean plants, not apple trees. Builder Boy told me that the plants were going to grow high and then we would pick the beans and plant them and do it all over again. He also told me that the plants need air, water, and sunlight. I'm so happy the lesson has stuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...