Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Helping Verbs/State of Being Verbs

I was reading something that reminded me of something I learned in my English class in Jr. high. It was a way to remember all the (most common?) helping verbs, although I learned them as the state-of-being verbs. I did a quick search on Yahoo and Google and didn't see them mentioned, so I thought it might not be commonly known. It's something I'll share with my kids when we're there in grammar, so I thought I'd share it here.

It starts with Am.is.are Was.were, an explorer from the Amazon rainforest.
His best friend was Be Being Been (like the name Ben.)
His other friends were May Might Must, who was strong, and Do Did Does (like duh,) who was clueless.

Then there were the triplets: Can Could, Shall Should, and Will Would.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...