Friday, June 29, 2012

Early Bird Preschool: The Plan

I was reading a thread on the Well Trained Mind forum and it made me realize something: I should probably do pre-school for Early Bird. I didn't think about it earlier because he is already reading at a 1st grade level. He has a good attention span and I was planning on having him do All About Spelling with Builder Boy (they are around the same reading level, with Early Bird a bit ahead in decoding skills.) With history (Story of the World) and science I was going to let him tag along and make copies of the coloring sheets for him so he could do what he wanted to do, but not require anything from him. But I should probably do something a bit younger and age appropriate, just to make sure all the bases are covered.

I was playing with Early Bird with a stuffed bird when I got the idea to do a bird theme preschool.  I had previously printed out the preschool guidelines from World Book Typical Course of Study so I got those out. Most of it would be review for him, but it could still be fun! So I've decided to do four weeks, each with a different thing to learn about birds, and bird theme activities that also covered the basic concepts.

The Course of Study includes:

Size
  • Understands big and little.
  • Understands long and short.
  • Matches shapes or objects based on size.
Colors and Shapes
  • Recognizes and names primary colors.
  • Recognizes circles.
  • Recognizes rectangles.
  • Matches shapes or objects based on shape.
  • Copies shapes.
 Numbers
  • Counts orally through 10.
  • Counts objects in one-to-one correspondence.
  • Understands empty and full.
  • Understands more and less.
Position and Direction
  • Understands up and down.
  • Understands in and out.
  • Understands front and back.
  • Understands over (on) and under.
  • Understands top, bottom, middle.
  • Understands beside and next to.
  • Understands hot and cold.
  • Understands fast and slow.
Time
  • Understands day and night.
  • Knows age and birthday.

The other concept categories are:
  • Reading Readiness
  • Listening and Sequencing
  • Motor Skills
  • and Social-Emotional Development 

I will be focusing on the first five concepts groups. So that my blog does not get cluttered I will be posting about the week's bird activities all together on the weekend. I am starting the projects July 2nd and will post about the week's activities on July 7th.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...