Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Fall Skirts

I'm going to do this Seasonal Skirts blog hop post a little differently because, well, you're already seen almost all the skirts I own already. I wear the same skirts all year round. Some people might wonder if that doesn't get boring, or don't other people notice? After all, you could wear the same pair of jeans every day of the week and as long as they were clean, no one would notice. But with skirts, people notice. Or do they? I have a denim skirt (shown in the summer post) and a khaki skirt (shown in the spring post) that are as close to nondescript jeans as skirts get. As long as I wear a more colorful, eye-catching top, I doubt people are looking at me and trying to remember if that's the same skirt I was wearing the last time they saw me. I mean, are you tracking what people around you wear?




I also have a signature color: purple. I love purple; it makes me happy to look at, and honestly, it's a really great color for my skin tone and hair. But I used to be afraid of bold, bright, colorful clothing. I was afraid to draw attention to myself, and I kept to more muted colors. Until one year, almost seven years ago, I chose a light pink trench coat instead of a beige one. It was an impulse choice of color, but I chose what made me feel happy and pretty, rather than what was probably the more mature choice that would blend me in to the crowd. I got so many compliments every time I wore that coat and it seemed to me that others would have liked to be the kind of person who chose the pink over the beige, but they were too self conscious to "risk" it. Several years after that when I needed a replacement coat I chose a bold purple. That was the beginning of what I jokingly called The Year of Purple. Everything I bought that year, my coat, flip flops, tops, everything to wear was purple. (Before that year I owned no purple clothes.) Since then I have purchased other colors of clothing, but I think a third of my wardrobe is purple. And only two of those are skirts. One casual, one dress up. But over the years since I've embraced "my" color, I've collected enough different tops to go with those two purple skirts and two neutral skirts that there is plenty of variety. And you know what? I've gotten a ton of complements when I wear purple. And once again I get the impression that the person saying something nice about the color wishes they were able/willing to wear it, too. So if there is a favorite color for you that for some reason you have been avoiding wearing, I dare you to try it. Make your own year of one color purchases to build up your wardrobe and see how it goes. I'll bet you it goes better than you think.

One of the other ways I bring variety to my fall wardrobe is scarves. I love scarves, and I really love that they have become more acceptable in contemporary fashion, because that means more options in the store to buy! All it takes is a new piece of fabric and the old, tired shirt disappears becoming a mere backdrop for your scarf. I would wear them year round except I'm really sensitive to anything around my neck and they make me feel too hot when it's too warm. But cool and cold weather is perfect!

Another thing I really like about them is the right scarf can dress up a too-casual outfit for a not-quite-dress-up event. Here are pictures of what I wore to a volunteer appreciation event at church. Plain, not quite enough. Oh look, I added a sparkly scarf! See how much better, and how easy, that was?










Another reason I love scarves is because, well, I'm a bit of a messy eater. Even when I don't have a baby in my lap to use as an excuse. Scarves are great when you've eaten right before you need to leave the house and you don't have the time (or the clean laundry) to change your shirt.










So, to summarize, wear what makes you happy, stop worrying what other people are going to think about what you wear, and scarves are awesome. 

This blog post has been my contribution to thee Seasonal Skirts Blog Hop. There's one more season yet to go! Check out the other skirt posts in the Linky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...