Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Three Sisters: Day 1

This is what your back yard looks like when you neglect it for a year.
The seeds are in the ground! Well, in the dirt mound on top of the ground. I am starting to suspect that this is not going to be enough room for the Three Sisters, a pumpkin vine, and a cantaloupe vine. But if we didn't get them started when I had the energy and drive to do it, it was never going to happen. So, this Sunday, we got the seeds in. The boys have been bitten by the gardening bug, and I'm trying to let them do as much as they can on their own. My information was mostly based on what I read in a book last year, and some reading here.

From the book idea we made a raised, circular(ish) mound and planted two seeds in four parts of the circle in a square.  Once they've sprouted and are 4 inches high we'll add the beans and then the squash. My book did not say what kind of beans or squash, so I picked something labeled "Garden Bean: Kentucky Wonder" for my bean and Dark Green Zucchini for my squash. I've heard that zucchini is easy to grow, so here's hoping.

I'd also heard that pumpkin is easy to grow, so we planted two seeds in another dirt mound. We also planted a spot with two cantaloupe seeds. (Two seeds in case one doesn't sprout. If they both sprout we'll trim the smaller sprout.)

I probably should have done a better job getting rid of more of the grass in our selected area. I foresee a lot of weeding in our future. But I was nervous about waiting any longer. Of course, no I'm worried that I planted too soon in the year! This is NOT my comfort zone. But I know it's going to be a great learning experience for they kids.

Oh, yeah, and I also planted some already-started cilantro. Because.....I love cilantro.




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...