Sunday, October 14, 2012

Making a Cardboard Brick Frame










Chapter Nine of Story of the World: Ancient Times introduces ancient India. As an activity for this chapter we are going to experiment with different mud/sand/grass mixtures to discover what mix makes the best bricks. But for that we needed brick forms, ideally identical in size and shape for the most accurate comparison.

I started with a Carnation instant breakfast box (I got it at Sam's Club.) I measured and drew a line around at exactly the half way around point. I cut all the way around in half.

Then I measured and cut the top and bottom in half. I used the cardboard back of a pad of colored paper to make the missing side on each of the frames. I used masking tape on any edge that could possible leak.

The original box was 6 in X 11.5 in X 3.75 in. I turned it into four frames  3 in X 5.75 x 3.75.

__________________________________________________________________________________
The brick making experiment is from SOTW Activity Book One: Ancient Times. Making the cardboard frames was from me.

The beginning links are to the author's printing press website where you can buy Story of the World directly from the author. The below pictures are links to the book on Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...