Friday, March 7, 2014

How We Got Our School's Name

This is a picture of the boys when I came up with our school name. I think Early Bird is 2 and Builder Boy is 4 years old in this picture. They are definitely rough and tumble boys. They really loved the Tangled movie. And in many ways they reminded me of the Ruffians. Guys who hit and kick but have hearts of gold.

I always wanted a Latin word in our school name. Yes, it's a bit pretentious, but it made us feel smart. One of my favorite books in high school was How to Insult, Abuse & Insinuate in Classical Latin. (Yes, I was a nerd in high school.) That book is where I found the sceleratus/ruffians translation. "Perfect!" I thought. And that's how Sceleratus Classical Academy was born.

Now that I have a daughter, will I be changing it? Probably not. Lady Bug can be the Repunzel to their Ruffians and swing frying pans along with them.


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...