I was playing with Early Bird with a stuffed bird when I got the idea to do a bird theme preschool. I had previously printed out the preschool guidelines from World Book Typical Course of Study so I got those out. Most of it would be review for him, but it could still be fun! So I've decided to do four weeks, each with a different thing to learn about birds, and bird theme activities that also covered the basic concepts.
The Course of Study includes:
- Understands big and little.
- Understands long and short.
- Matches shapes or objects based on size.
- Recognizes and names primary colors.
- Recognizes circles.
- Recognizes rectangles.
- Matches shapes or objects based on shape.
- Copies shapes.
- Counts orally through 10.
- Counts objects in one-to-one correspondence.
- Understands empty and full.
- Understands more and less.
- Understands up and down.
- Understands in and out.
- Understands front and back.
- Understands over (on) and under.
- Understands top, bottom, middle.
- Understands beside and next to.
- Understands hot and cold.
- Understands fast and slow.
- Understands day and night.
- Knows age and birthday.
The other concept categories are:
- Reading Readiness
- Listening and Sequencing
- Motor Skills
- and Social-Emotional Development
I will be focusing on the first five concepts groups. So that my blog does not get cluttered I will be posting about the week's bird activities all together on the weekend. I am starting the projects July 2nd and will post about the week's activities on July 7th.